- What Science Says About Marijuana July 31, 2014USA -- For Michele Leonhart, the administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration, there is no difference between the health effects of marijuana and those of any other illegal drug. All illegal drugs are bad for people, she told Congress in 2012, refusing to say whether crack, methamphetamines or prescription painkillers are more addictive or physically […]
- Federal Gov. Poor Argument for MJ Prohibition July 30, 2014USA -- The New York Times editorial board is making news with a week-long series advocating for the full legalization of marijuana in the United States. In response, the White House's Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) published a blog post Monday purporting to lay out the federal government's case against marijuana reform. That case, a […]
- Marijuana, Parenting and Toking in Public July 30, 2014Seattle -- When voters ended marijuana prohibition in Washington, we didnt end the civic duty to not be a public jerk. That message hasnt gotten through. Nearly every parent I know myself included has a story similar to one posted on Facebook by my friend Natalie Singer-Velush. She took three kids two 8-year-olds and a 7-year-old for a quick mid-afternoon tr […]
- Federal MJ Ban Is Rooted in Myth and Xenophobia July 30, 2014USA -- The federal law that makes possession of marijuana a crime has its origins in legislation that was passed in an atmosphere of hysteria during the 1930s and that was firmly rooted in prejudices against Mexican immigrants and African-Americans, who were associated with marijuana use at the time. This racially freighted history lives on in current federa […]
- The Required White House Response on Marijuana July 30, 2014Washington, D.C. -- When the White House issued a statement last night saying that marijuana should remain illegal responding to our pro-legalization editorial series officials there werent just expressing an opinion. They were following the law. The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy is required by statute to oppose all efforts to legalize a […]
- MMJ Opponents Argument at Odds with Research July 29, 2014USA -- Opponents of marijuana legalization are rapidly losing the battle for hearts and minds. Simply put, the public understands that however you measure the consequences of marijuana use, the drug is significantly less harmful to users and society than tobacco or alcohol. But opponents still have one trick up their sleeves, and it's proven to be a pow […]
- Why NYT's Call For MJ Legalization Is a Huge Deal July 29, 2014USA -- The New York Times editorial board made history Sunday, as the first major national paper to call for an end to marijuana prohibition. And how they did it is half the story -- with rare flash and panache, as well as the intellectual and moral substance to back it up. The Times' editorial has the feel of legendary CBS News anchor Walter Cronkite c […]
- The Injustice of Marijuana Arrests July 28, 2014USA -- Americas four-decade war on drugs is responsible for many casualties, but the criminalization of marijuana has been perhaps the most destructive part of that war. The toll can be measured in dollars billions of which are thrown away each year in the aggressive enforcement of pointless laws. It can be measured in years whether wasted behind bars or sto […]
- Florida Voters Back MMJ 9 to 1, Poll Finds July 28, 2014Florida -- If the latest poll is right, its a safe bet that Florida will legalize medical marijuana this November. A new Quinnipiac University poll finds that 88 percent of voters support the legal use of marijuana for medical purposes, while 10 percent do not. Those attitudes were unchanged from May, but support was six percentage points up from November. T […]
- NYT Calls for Ending U.S. Ban on Marijuana July 27, 2014USA -- The editorial board of the New York Times has issued a dramatic call for the federal government to repeal its ban on marijuana, saying officials should leave the question of legalization up to state governments. "It has been more than 40 years since Congress passed the current ban on marijuana, inflicting great harm on society just to prohibit a […]
- What Science Says About Marijuana July 31, 2014
May 2012 Events Calendar
- Events are coming soon, stay tuned!
Login StatusYou are not currently logged in.