- Oklahoma and Nebraska Sue Colorado December 20, 2014Colorado -- Oklahoma and Nebraska have filed a lawsuit with the U.S. Supreme Court asking it to deem Colorado's marijuana laws unconstitutional, The Denver Post reports. The states, which border Colorado, claim in the suit that their neighbor's recreational pot policy is "draining their treasuries, and placing stress on their criminal justice […]
- Dangerous Implications of the Lawsuit Against MJ December 20, 2014USA -- Co-blogger Jonathan Adler and Vanderbilt law professor Robert Mikos have pointed out some of the flaws in the lawsuit filed by Nebraska and Oklahoma urging a federal court to invalidate marijuana legalization in neighboring Colorado. In the unlikely event that the plaintiff states prevail, they will also have set a very dangerous precedent one that co […]
- Nebraska, Oklahoma Meddling with Colorado Pot Law December 20, 2014Colorado -- No one has ever doubted the federal government has the power to shut down Colorado's commercial marijuana outlets, as well as its manufacturing and growing facilities. Federal agents could close every medical marijuana facility, too. But they have chosen not to, wisely deferring to the popular will in Colorado and other states that have lega […]
- Pot Backers See Dollar Signs December 20, 2014Ohio -- The belief that marijuana is a growth industry appears to be the driving force behind a planned 2015 constitutional amendment that would ask Ohioans to authorize 10 individuals or businesses to grow and sell marijuana wholesale for personal and medicinal use by residents 21 or older. Despite being in the works for up to a year, Thursdays revelation o […]
- Nebraska & Oklahoma Sue Colorado Over Legalization December 18, 2014Colorado -- Two neighboring states are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to strike down Colorado's laws legalizing recreational marijuana. Nebraska and Oklahoma filed the lawsuit directly with the nation's highest court on Thursday. The two states argue that, "the State of Colorado has created a dangerous gap in the federal drug control system. […]
- Obama Commutes Sentences for 8 Drug Inmates December 17, 2014Washington, D.C. -- President Barack Obama on Wednesday cut short prison time for eight drug convicts as part of his new initiative to reduce harsh sentences under outdated guidelines, a step that could lead to a vast expansion of presidential clemency in his final two years in office. The president also is pardoning 12 convicts for a variety of offenses. Bu […]
- The Federal War on Medical Marijuana Is Over December 17, 2014USA -- Good news for medical pot smokers: The $1.1 trillion federal spending bill approved by the Senate on Saturday has effectively ended the longstanding federal war on medical marijuana. An amendment to the bill blocks the Department of Justice from spending money to prosecute medical marijuana dispensaries or patients that abide by state laws. "Pati […]
- Congress Ends Federal Government's Ban on MMJ December 16, 2014Washington, D,C. -- Tucked deep inside the 1,603-page federal spending measure is a provision that effectively ends the federal government's prohibition on medical marijuana and signals a major shift in drug policy. The bill's passage over the weekend marks the first time Congress has approved nationally significant legislation backed by legalizati […]
- Teen MJ Use Declines Even as States Legalize December 16, 2014USA -- Marijuana use among teens declined this year even as two states, Colorado and Washington, legalized the drug for recreational use, a national survey released Tuesday found. University of Michigan's Monitoring the Future study, now in its 40th year, surveys 40,000 to 50,000 students in 8th, 10th and 12th grade in schools nationwide about their use […]
- Fight Over Marijuana More Risky in States than DC December 16, 2014Washington, D.C. -- It's easy for Congress to meddle with the District of Columbia's decision to legalize recreational use of marijuana, but taking on the states is a different matter. A massive, catch-all spending bill Congress passed last week contains a provision preventing the District from using federal money to implement any law or regulation […]
- Oklahoma and Nebraska Sue Colorado December 20, 2014
May 2012 Events Calendar
- Events are coming soon, stay tuned!
Login StatusYou are not currently logged in.