- Patterns: A Benefit of Legal Marijuana September 2, 2014USA -- Policy makers have suggested a variety of strategies to reduce injury and death from prescription opioid overdose, including drug-monitoring programs, scrutiny of doctors writing prescriptions and improved access to substance-abuse treatment. Now a study has found evidence that legal access to marijuana is associated with fewer opioid overdose deaths. […]
- Legalization Complicates How To Talk About Pot September 1, 2014USA -- Laurie Ritchie prides herself on being an open-minded parent. She voted in favor of legalizing marijuana two years ago. She started talking to her daughters about drug use around the same time. She hasn't stopped. Now that recreational pot is legal in Colorado and Washington state for people 21 and older, "it's everywhere," the 53- […]
- Will Draffic Deaths Rise as States Legalize Pot? September 1, 2014Washington, D.C. -- As states liberalize their marijuana laws, public officials and safety advocates worry that more drivers high on pot will lead to a big increase in traffic deaths. Researchers who have studied the issue, though, are divided on the question. Studies of marijuana's effects show that the drug can slow decision-making, decrease periphera […]
- Alaska Marijuana Legalization Initiative September 1, 2014Alaska -- With two months left to sway Alaska voters, the dueling groups in support and opposition of a ballot measure to legalize, tax and regulate recreational marijuana in Alaska are ramping up their campaigns, and Friday they offered glimpses of whats to come in the weeks leading to the general election. The group backing the initiative -- the Campaign t […]
- Of Pot and Percocet August 30, 2014USA -- Prescription opioid painkillers like Percocet, Vicodin and OxyContin have come under intense scrutiny in recent years because of the drastic rise in overdose deaths associated with their prolonged use. Meanwhile, access to medical marijuana has been expanding 23 states and the District of Columbia have legalized its broad medical use and chronic or se […]
- CO MMJ Research Grants Face Federal Uncertainty August 30, 2014Colorado will begin handing out money for a groundbreaking medical-marijuana research grant program early next year. But the first meeting of a group that will review applications for the grants shows there's doubt over who will be able to accept the funding. Next week, Colorado's health department will release the program's official request f […]
- Santa Fe City Council Votes to Decriminalize MJ August 28, 2014New Mexico -- Santa Fe on Wednesday became the latest U.S. city to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana, with lawmakers in the New Mexico capital voting to change local statutes rather than put the issue to a public ballot in November. The Santa Fe City Council voted five to four in favor of revising a law classifying possession of less than one ounce (2 […]
- U.S. Government To Grow 30 Times More Marijuana August 28, 2014Washington, D.C. -- The U.S. government has upped the quantity of marijuana its growing this year, to more than 1,400 pounds from the originally planned 46. The federal government classifies marijuana as a substance that has no medical use and is more dangerous than cocaine. But its willing to let researchers have access under a few conditions. One condition […]
- Marijuana Lowers the Risk of Domestic Violence August 27, 2014USA -- The use of alcohol significantly increases ones likelihood of becoming either a perpetrator or a victim of a violent act, including acts of intimate partner violence. As for cannabis use -- thats a different story. In fact, according to a just-published study in the journal Psychology and Addictive Behaviors, couples who use pot are particularly unlik […]
- In States With MMJ, Painkiller Deaths Drop by 25% August 26, 2014USA -- America has a major problem with prescription pain medications like Vicodin and OxyContin. Overdose deaths from these pharmaceutical opioids have approximately tripled since 1991, and every day 46 people die of such overdoses in the United States. However, in the 13 states that passed laws allowing for the use of medical marijuana between 1999 and 201 […]
- Patterns: A Benefit of Legal Marijuana September 2, 2014
May 2012 Events Calendar
- Events are coming soon, stay tuned!
Login StatusYou are not currently logged in.